A portion of Jim Calhoun Way will close to all traffic starting next week, the first step in a project that will eventually transform the southwest portion of the UConn Storrs campus into an Athletics District with updated facilities for baseball, softball and soccer.
Starting Monday, Aug. 27, the western portion of Jim Calhoun Way will be closed between Separatist Road and the I Lot parking area near the Freitas Ice Forum, with other portions of the road accessible either by entering at Hillside Road or Alumni Drive.
The western portion Jim Calhoun Way will remain closed through Oct. 1, and other parts of the road will be closed at various times through 2020 to accommodate later phases of the work.
More details will be shared in future updates on UConn Today and at uconn.edu/construction.
The road closures are necessary as crews work on underground upgrades to provide water, fire protection, sewer service, storm water pipes, natural gas, electricity and telecommunications lines to properties that either don’t have those utilities or need improvements.
- The intersection at Jim Calhoun Way and Separatist Road will be closed starting Monday to all traffic, with no entrance or exit to campus there.
- Drivers seeking to reach South Garage for work, classes, the UConn Bookstore, campus events or other reasons are advised to check UConn maps for other routes, such as using Hillside Road or taking Alumni Drive to the portion of Jim Calhoun Way that remains open.
- UConn Athletics fans, especially those planning to attend home soccer games at Marrone Stadium or other fall sports on campus in coming weeks, are advised to check its website and its social media channels for specific information about detours and parking.
- The northeast entrance to Hilltop Apartments off Alumni Drive will be open and accessible. However, the entrance off Jim Calhoun Way, west of the I Lot parking area, will not.
- I Lot will remain accessible. However, vehicles leaving the parking lot will only be able to turn right for eastbound traffic, since Jim Calhoun Way will be closed to the west.
- In addition to the I Lot parking area and Hilltop Apartments, people will still be able to reach the ice rink, Morrone Stadium, Shenkman Training Center and the athletics playing fields.
- The nearby D Lot parking area off Alumni Drive will not be affected.
- Pedestrian routes around the construction areas will be identified and maintained throughout the project.
The infrastructure work that requires the road closure is needed to support the new athletic competition and training facilities scheduled to be built in the area in coming years, along with a center to house team and coach locker rooms, coaches’ offices, equipment room, and other spaces.
The current J.O. Christian Field for baseball and the Burrill Family Field for softball have no restrooms or other amenities, and the outdated facilities at both sites – as well as the adjacent Joseph J. Marrone Stadium for soccer – have been an impediment to UConn’s recruiting and fan attendance at games.
The 20-year-old Freitas Ice Forum will also be renovated and expanded, although that property already has underground infrastructure for water, electricity and other utilities.