COLLEGE PARK, Md.– The University of Maryland’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) has launched an online hate-bias report log to help keep the campus community abreast of incidents that occur on campus. The log, a key recommendation of the Joint President/Senate Inclusion and Respect Task Force, is accessible to all UMD students, faculty and staff.
“Our overall goals with the newly formed hate-bias report log are to increase transparency around hate-bias incidents that occur on campus and to raise awareness about the actions we’ve taken to support those who’ve been impacted,” said Neijma Celestine-Donnor, hate-bias program manager.
The hate-bias report log is part of the broader mission of ODI’s Hate-Bias Response Program. Created in late-Spring 2018, the program is aimed at coordinating support services offered to individuals impacted by hate-bias incidents, developing hate-bias training and programming, and collecting and distributing hate-bias related data to the UMD community.
Since its implementation, several initiatives have been established and additional programs have been expanded. This includes:
- the creation of a Hate-bias Response Team to respond to hate-bias incidents and work collaboratively to provide educational outreach to the campus. The team includes members from key offices and units across campus– the Counseling Center, Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Office of Residence Life, Office of Strategic Communications, University of Maryland Police Department and the University Health Center;
- updating the hate-bias response protocol. Beginning Fall 2018, hate-bias incidents should be reported to ODI and/or UMPD;
- a new streamlined online reporting form;
- newly developed hate-bias training sessions, as recommended by the Joint President/Senate Inclusion and Respect Task Force. Training topics include: Overview of Hate-Bias Reporting & Response, In Response to Trauma: Understanding the Impact of Hate and Bias & Providing Support, and The Attraction of Hate: Understanding Offenders and Offender Motivations; and
- a new, easy to navigate website that features up-to-date information about the Hate-Bias Response Program and a list of resources available to faculty, students, and staff.
For more information about the Hate-Bias Response Program, please visit https://diversity.umd.edu/hbrp/.