UC Davis will host a funeral this Friday (Jan. 18) for slain Davis police officer Natalie Corona, at 11 a.m. in The Pavilion at the ARC.
The campus is setting aside a parking garage and several parking lots for law enforcement officers from around the state and country, as well as family and friends and the public. As many as 6,000 officers and others are expected.
“We hope our faculty, staff and students are understanding of the need to do this as we join the city, state and nation in paying respect to this fallen officer,” said Chancellor Gary S. May, who issued a Jan. 13 message asking the campus community to focus this week on honoring officer Corona’s service and memory.
All campus activities, including classes, will continue as normally scheduled Friday, so the campus is taking a number of steps to alleviate the parking crunch. First, officials are encouraging all staff, faculty and students to use alternative forms of transportation, if at all possible, such as public transit (Unitrans will be free), biking or walking.
In addition, Transportation Services, or TAPS, will implement stack parking (with valets), to provide additional capacity in the Gateway Parking Structure (south entry), Lot 1 and Lot 2 (behind the Gateway structure), and Lot 10 (at the southwest corner of Old Davis Road and First Street). TAPS will not charge for parking Friday.
Other options: Park in certain remote campus lots where free Unitrans shuttles will come along every 10 minutes, providing service to and from the main campus); park in the city of Davis, which will not charge for parking or enforce permit regulations in residential areas and downtown; or, as appropriate, explore with your supervisor the option of working remotely.
The garage and parking lots listed here are reserved for law enforcement officers and others attending the funeral (no charge for parking), and thus closed for regular parking by staff, faculty and students. People with disabilities (and placards) are welcome to park in these facilities.
- Pavilion Parking Structure
- Lot 22 — south of Primero Grove
- Lot 25 — in front of the Activities and Recreation Center
- Lot 26 and Lot 27 — south of Hoagland Hall
- Lot 30 — at the Rec Pool, off Hutchison Drive
- Lot 35 — corner of La Rue Road and Orchard Road (between the Student Health and Wellness Center, and the Human Resources Administration Building)
- Lot 40 and Lot 41 — south side of Hutchison Drive, across from the Pavilion Parking Structure
Additional parking for law enforcement officers and others attending the funeral will be provided:
- Along La Rue Road, between Garrod Drive and Orchard Road, with the curbside lanes along La Rue closed in each direction
- On Extension Center Drive, alongside Lot 30
Remote parking with shuttles
Free Unitrans shuttles will run every 10 minutes, to and from the Silo Terminal, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. for staff, faculty and students.
- Lot 57 — adjacent to Highway 113, west of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
- Garrod Drive — west of Highway 113, parking spaces on the south side of the road
- Hopkins Lot — at the Hopkins Services Complex, Hopkins Road, west of Highway 113
Another remote option:
- West Village and Sacramento City College’s Davis Center (at West Village) — Free parking on Yarrow, Fescue, Zelkova and Acer streets east of North Sage Street, and in the SCC Davis Center parking lot. Regular Unitrans service is available on the V Line.