Foreman Powers Dartmouth's Offense in 4-1 League Win vs. St. Lawrence

This post was originally published on this site

HANOVER, N.H. – For the first time in almost nine years, the Dartmouth men’s hockey team managed to fire 50 pucks on net as it came away from Friday night’s ECAC Hockey league game with St. Lawrence 4-1 winners.
Sophomore Quin Foreman scored two goals inside Thompson Arena as the Big Green (8-9-2, 7-4-1 ECAC) picked up a pair of league points against the Saints (3-19-1, 1-9-1 ECAC) in the first contest of the year between the two teams that met five times last season.
The 51 shots were not only 38 more than the visiting team managed, but pushed Dartmouth over the half-century mark for the first time since No. 12, 2010 (W, 7-1 vs. Clarkson).
“We had a lot of jump and the energy level was high across the board right from the start,” Koenig Family Head Coach Bob Gaudet ’81 said of his team in their first game back after a five-game road trip over three weeks. “There were a lot of quality chances for us all over and that stemmed from good puck movement from both the forwards and the defense. It was good to see us play hard from the start all the way to the final whistle with no lapses.”
Foreman got he scoring started just 3:19 into the game, finishing off a nice pass from junior Shane Sellar, who had stolen the puck off a defender’s stick to gain possession before centering to his linemate for the opening tally.
Collin Rutherford was the next to find the back of the net as his centering feed from below the goal line went in off the skate of the SLU defenseman stopping at the top of the crease at the 12:28 mark of the middle stanza.
The Saints would pull to within one as David Jankowski’s fifth of the season came just 4:27 into the third period to make it 2-1. That didn’t last, though, as Foreman potted his second of the game and team-leading ninth of the season just 134 seconds later to push the advantage back up to two.
Foreman’s second came via the power play as he was once again the recipient of a nice back-door pass across the crease, this time from senior Carl Hesler. Freshman Drew O’Connor’s secondary assist gives him 15 points on the year, most on the team in 19 games played.
The insurance goal that sealed it came via a deflection from senior Alex Jasiek, pushing his point streak to four games. Jasiek redirected a Joey Matthews’ point shot in the slot to give the home team the 4-1 edge. Rutherford also picked up a helper on the play for his second multi-point effort of the season.
Junior Adrian Clark needed to make just 12 saves to earn the win in net for the Big Green. Saints netminder Arthur Brey was peppered all night by the shooting gallery of the home team, finishing with 47 saves, making him the second opposing goalie forced to turn aside 40 or more saves in a game this season (Vermont’s Stefanos Lekkas, 43).
Jasiek led all players with eight shots, while Cam Strong had seven as part of the Green’s grinding third line that wore down SLU players all night and opened up opportunities for other groups to attack.
Dartmouth is back in action Saturday night against No. 10 Clarkson, a team now one point back of the Green and White in the standings after a 4-3 overtime loss to Harvard on Friday in Cambridge.

Print Friendly Version