By: Charlotte Brackett
HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth women’s tennis won its first match of the New Year on Sunday, taking down Connecticut by a score of 7-0.
Sophomore Abigail Chiu and junior Racquel Lyn started the match off with a 6-0 victory at No. 1 doubles, while freshmen Jingyi Peng and Nina Paripovic had a 6-3 win at the No. 2 spot. Play at the No. 3 position was very close, but the Huskies narrowly won, 7-5.
The Big Green swept all seven singles matches without dropping a set. Junior Chuyang Guan’s 6-4, 6-1 win over Luciana Rabines at No. 5 gave Dartmouth another point, while victories by freshman Nicole Conard at the No. 4 position and Chiu at the top spot put the home team ahead, 4-0.
Having already clinched the win, play continued on the three remaining courts. Freshman Nina Paripovic, Lyn and junior Allison McCann added victories of their own to end the match.
Next weekend is another busy one for Dartmouth, who will host Boston University and St. John’s on Saturday and Sunday.
1) Chiu/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Fitz-Randolph/Moreau (UConn), 6-0
2) Peng/Paripovic (Dartmouth) def. Chung/Perrotta (UConn), 6-3
3) Rabines/Kozyi (UConn) def. Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth), 7-5
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1) Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Fitz-Randolph (UConn), 6-4, 6-0
2) Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Moreau (UConn), 6-3, 6-3
3) Paripovic (Dartmouth) def. Chung (UConn), 6-3, 6-1
4) Conard (Dartmouth) def. Perrotta (UConn), 6-3, 6-1
5) Guan (Dartmouth) def. Rabines (UConn), 6-4, 6-1
6) McCann (Dartmouth) def. Kozyi (UConn), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,4,1,3,2,6