By: Charlotte Brackett
DES MOINES, Iowa – Dartmouth men’s tennis defeated Drake, 4-3, at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center on Sunday.
“I’m really proud of the team for beating a very good Drake team on the road,” head coach Chris Drake said. “Sid bounced back from a tough loss on Friday and showed impressive composure as a freshman to close it out against a senior on the road.”
Juniors David Horneffer and Charlie Broom had a 6-3 victory at the No. 1 doubles positions to start the match off, but Tom Hands and Calum MacGeoch won at the No. 3 position to tie things up. At the No. 2 spot, sophomores Peter Conklin and Casey Ross won a very close match by a score of 7-6 to give the Big Green the first point.
Wins by Horneffer and Ross at the No. 2 and 6 positions put Dartmouth ahead, 3-0, but a trio of Bulldog victories at the No. 1, 4 and 3 spots tied the score at 3-3. Playing at the No. 5 position, freshman Sid Chari won his first set against MacGeoch, 6-2, before dropping the second, 6-4. The Big Green rookie fought to win the third set, 7-6, and clinch the match.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will head to Philadelphia for the ECAC Indoor Championship.
1) Horneffer/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Gillespie/Thorold (Drake), 603
2) Conklin/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Philips/Hall (Drake), 7-6
3) Hands/MacGeoch (Drake) def. Martin/Widdecombe (Dartmouth), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1) Gillespie (Drake) def. Brook (Dartmouth), 6-4, 7-5
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Thorold (Drake), 6-2, 6-4
3) Hands (Drake) def. Martin (Dartmouth), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4) Philips (Drake) def. Conklin (Dartmouth), 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
5) Chari (Dartmouth) def. MacGeoch (Drake), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
6) Ross (Dartmouth) def. Clark (Drake), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,6,1,4,3,5