Southern Illinois University Edwardsville’s student newspaper, The Alestle, won 14 awards at the Illinois College Press Association’s Convention held Saturday, Feb. 16 in Chicago.
The awards spanned a range of categories, including in-depth reporting, design, multimedia, special supplements, photography, sports writing and headline writing.
“Earning awards in this broad range of categories is a testament to the overall excellence of The Alestle staff,” said Alestle Program Director Tammy Merrett.
- In-depth reporting: Second place among non-dailies with a campus population over 4,000 division
- Special supplement: Second place in the open division which includes all schools, regardless of size
- Feature design: Editor-in-chief Miranda Lintzenich achieved second place
- Headline writing: Reporter Darian Stevenson won first place for the large school, non-daily division
- Sports photography: Former photo editor Allison Gregory earned second and third place
- General news photography: Gregory won second place
- Sports game story: Former sports editor Trent Stuart earned third place, and an honorable mention in the sports page design category
- Feature page design: Lintzenich and graphics manager JoAnn Weaver shared third place
- Feature photo: Photo editor Bre Booker won third place in the large school, non-daily division
- Sports feature: Reporter Maddi Lammert earned an honorable mention
- Multimedia: Alestle contributor Bobby Krug was recognized with two honorable mentions
The Alestle competed with 33 Illinois colleges and universities in 15 open categories. Additionally, the publication competed in 18 categories against 10 non-daily student newspapers on campuses with more than 4,000 students, including Columbia College in Chicago, Loyola University of Chicago, University of Illinois Springfield, DePaul University and others.
Almost 1,200 entries in the competition were judged for excellence by working journalists across the country.
Photo courtesy The Alestle: (L-R) JoAnn Weaver, Bridget Christner, Kait Baker, Tammy Merrett and Miranda Lintzenich hold The Alestle staff’s collective IPCA awards.