By: Charlotte Brackett
BEAUMONT, Texas – No. 45 Dartmouth men’s tennis kicked off spring break in Texas with a 7-0 victory against Lamar. The Big Green improved to 8-5, while the Cardinals dipped to 5-12.
Dartmouth victories at the No. 1 and 3 doubles gave the visitors an edge heading into singles. No. 20 Charlie Broom and David Horneffer started things off with a 6-0 win at the top spot and that was followed by a 6-2 win by sophomores Dan Martin and John Speicher at the No. 3 position.
The Big Green won all six of their singles matches in two sets. Speicher had an easy time making it 2-0 with his 6-0, 6-0 defeat of Brock Lauer at the No. 6 position and soon after, Martin and No. 34 Broom had added two more wins for Dartmouth. Horneffer clinched at the No. 3 spot with his 7-6, 6-0 victory over Carlos Paton Canal, but the Green kept playing, allowing freshman Sid Chari and sophomore Peter Conklin to win their matches.
On Friday, Dartmouth will begin the 61st Ralph O’Connor Invitational by facing Texas Tech.
1) No. 20 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Antun/Mayr (Lamar), 6-0
2) Conklin/Ross (Dartmouth) vs. Paton/Serafim (Lamar), DNF
3) Martin/Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Lauer/Taylor (Lamar), 6-2
Order of finish: 1,3
1) No. 34 Broom (Dartmouth) def. Antun (Lamar), 6-4, 6-2
2) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Mayr (Lamar), 6-2, 7-5
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Paton (Lamar), 7-6, 6-0
4) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Serafim (Lamar), 7-5, 7-6
5) Chari (Dartmouth) def. Taylor (Lamar), 6-3, 6-4
6) Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Lauer (Lamar), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,1,2,3,5,4