By: Charlotte Brackett
DALLAS, Texas – The Dartmouth women’s tennis team fell to SMU, 6-1, in the Big Green’s final spring break match on Friday afternoon.
The Big Green are now 3-11 overall while the Mustangs improved to 5-9.
SMU had 6-1 victories at the No. 3 and 1 doubles positions to head into singles with a slight edge. Freshmen Nina Paripovic and Nicole Conard were narrowly trailing at the No. 2 spot when the second match was won.
Four singles victories in a row allowed the home team to clinch the win. Dartmouth played two super breakers (Conard on court four and junior Allison McCann on court six), narrowly falling in both. At the No. 5 position, junior Chuyang Guan dropped her first set to Ana Perez-Lopez, 6-3, but came back stronger to take the remaining two 6-4, 7-5 to win the match.
The Green will open Ivy League play next Saturday, March 30, at Harvard.
1) Buss/Kulicke (SMU) def. Chiu/Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-1
2) Traxler/Shapovalova (SMU) vs. Paripovic/Conard (Dartmouth), 4-2, DNF
3) Monarrez/Perez (SMU) def. McCann/Chuang (Dartmouth), 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1
1) No. 114 Buss (SMU) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
2) Shapovalova (SMU) def. Chiu (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-0
3) Kunicke (SMU) def. Paripovic (Dartmouth), 6-4, 7-6
4) Traxler (SMU) def. Conard (Dartmouth), 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
5) Guan (Dartmouth) def. Perez-Lopez (SMU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
6) Jakeway (SMU) vs. McCann (Dartmouth), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-1)
Order of finish: 2,3,1,4,5,6