By: Charlotte Brackett
HOUSTON, Texas – No. 45 Dartmouth knocked off No. 29 Texas Tech, 4-3, at the George R. Brown Tennis Center in the first match of the 61st Ralph O’Connor Rice Invitational on Friday afternoon.
The Big Green improved to 9-5, while the Red Raiders fell to 11-7.
“Gutsy effort from our team today against a top 30 team,” head coach Chris Drake said. “Dan played extremely high-level tennis to come back from being down 3-0 in the third set to clinch for us. He and John were also down 4-2 in doubles and ended up winning. Pete and Charlie did a nice job closing their matches in straight sets and the other guys who lost all battled to make it tough on their opponents. This was a great team win and we’re looking forward to another tough match tomorrow against Utah State.”
Texas Tech got the match started with a win at No. 2 doubles but wins by Dartmouth at the No. 1 and 3 spots put the Green up heading into singles. Sophomores Dan Martin and John Speicher came from behind to win their match, 6-4, at the No. 3 position, while 20th-ranked Charlie Broom and David Horneffer had a narrow 7-6 victory over seventh-ranked Bjorn Thomson and Parker Wynn at the No. 1 position.
Singles victories by No. 34 Broom at the top spot and sophomore Peter Conklin at the No. 4 position gave Dartmouth a 3-0 edge, but Red Raider victories on courts five and six made it a 3-2 match. Playing at the No. 3 position, Martin dropped his first set to Ilgiz Valiev, 6-2, but came back to win the remaining two, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5, to clinch the match.
The Big Green will face Utah State at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
1) No. 20 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. No. 7 Thomson/Wynn (TTU), 7-6
2) Cobb/Mylnikov (TTU) def. Conklin/Ross (Dartmouth), 6-3
3) Speicher/Martin (Dartmouth) def. Leite/Valiev (TTU), 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1) No. 34 Broom (Dartmouth) def. Mylinkov (TTU), 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 99 Wynn (TTU) def. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-5
3) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Valiev (TTU), 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
4) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Thomson (TTU), 6-1, 7-5
5) Ribero (TTU) def. Chari (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-6
6) Leite (TTU) def. Ross (Dartmouth), 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,4,5,6,3