On Wednesday, Sept. 11, VUPD received a report from a Campus Security Authority that a female student was sexually assaulted by a male student through unwanted contact in a residential housing facility on Sept. 7, 2019.
This Security Notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of â€œnoâ€� should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call (615) 421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call (615) 322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (615) 322-SAFE(7233).
The Title IX and Student Discrimination Office can be reached at (615) 343-9004.
The University Counseling Center (UCC) can be reached at (615) 322-2571.