Gov. Pritzker Appoints SIUEâ€™s Jessica Harris to Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum Board
Vast amounts of information have been generated about one of the countryâ€™s most celebrated U.S. presidents, much of which is housed in the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (ALPLM). In an effort to continue to advance the efforts of ALPLM, Gov. J.B. Pritzker has appointed Jessica Harris, PhD, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville interim assistant provost for Inclusive Academic Excellence, to the ALPLM board.
Harris is one of 11 trustees selected by Pritzker to the new board. â€œI was contacted by Governor Pritzkerâ€™s office and asked if I would be interested in a potential appointment to the ALPLM board, after which I went through an extensive vetting process,â€� she said. â€œI feel honored to have this opportunity to serve and look forward to working with other members of the board to advance the mission of the ALPLM.â€�
The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is dedicated to telling the story of Americaâ€™s 16th president through old-fashioned scholarship and modern technology. The library holds an unparalleled collection of Lincoln books, documents, photographs, artifacts and art, as well as approximately 12 million items pertaining to all aspects of Illinois history. The museum uses traditional exhibits, eye-catching special effects, and innovative storytelling techniques to educate visitors. Appointments to the ALPLM board are pending confirmation by the Illinois Senate.
â€œThe role of the board is to set policy and advise the executive director on programs related to ALPLM,â€� said Harris.
Other ALPLM board member appointees include:
- Ray LaHood will serve as chairman
- J. Steven Beckett will serve as the historian
- Joan Brodsky will serve as the historic preservation expert
- Kathryn Harris will serve as a library and museum expert
- Gary Johnson
- Jason Lesniewicz will serve as the cultural tourism expert
- Dan Monroe will serve as the Illinois historian
- Martin Sandoval, CPA, will serve as a business administration expert
- Eunice Santos
- Melinda Spitzer-Johnston will serve as a digitization, conservation and historic preservation expert
Photo: Jessica Harris, PhD, interim assistant provost for Inclusive Academic Excellence.