By: Mike Miezejeski
CHARLESTON CLASSIC – Charleston, S.C.
Feb. 21 vs. No. 25 Virginia Tech (7-3*) – 11:15 AM (LIVE STATS)
Feb. 21 at Charleston Southern (2-6*) – 3:45 PM (LIVE STATS)
Feb. 22 vs. Army (5-5*) – 10 AM (LIVE STATS)
Feb. 22 vs. Ohio (2-8*) – 2:30 PM (LIVE STATS)
Feb. 23 vs. North Carolina A&T (1-5*) – 9 AM (LIVE STATS)
Dartmouth starts its season in Charleston, S.C. in the Charleston Classic. The Big Green begin 2020 on Friday with a doubleheader against Virginia Tech and the College of Charleston. They then play two on Saturday against Army and the Ohio before wrapping up the trip Sunday morning against North Carolina A&T. The Big Green are the only team in the tournament who open their season this weekend.
2019 IN REVIEW
- The Big Green finished 12-27 and 10-11 in the Ivy League after winning seven of their last eight league games in 2019.
- Dartmouth came away with a sweep of Princeton on the final weekend of the season and had series wins at Yale, Cornell and Brown.
- Dartmouth returns four members of the team who have previously been named to All-Ivy League teams.
- Senior second baseman Micah Schroder took home the Ivy league Player of the Year award along with a unanimous First Team honor in 2019.
- Senior shortstop Calista Almer was awarded with an Honorable Mention nod last season.
- Junior catcher Schae Nelson was named the conference’s Rookie of the Year in 2018 and named to the First Team.
- Junior pitcher Heather Turner was selected to the Second Team in 2018.
PRESEASON HONORS FOR SCHRODER
- Micah Schroder was recently named to the USA Softball Player of the Year Watchlist.
- Schroder was the only Ivy Leaguer on the list and one of two players from the New England region.
- The top 25 finalists for the 2020 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award will be announced April 22, the top 10 finalists will be announced May 6 and the top three announced May 20.
- The 2020 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be revealed May 26.
- Schroder was also ranked No. 92 in Softball America’s Top 100 Player List.
SCOUTING VIRGINIA TECH
- The Hokies enter the Charleston Classic with a 7-3 record and are receiving votes in the latest USA TODAY Top-25 Poll.
- Virginia Tech started the season at the Kickin’ Chicken Classic and began 4-0 before falling to Iowa in eight innings (4-3).
- The Hokies then went to Florida for the St. Pete/Clearwater Invitational where they faced five ranked teams. Va. Tech fared well going 3-2 with wins over No. 18 South Carolina (8-6), No. 14 Minnesota (2-1) and No. 21 Northwestern (6-5, 8 Inn.).
- Virginia Tech is batting .313 as a team (43rd in the nation) and have hit 13 home runs (24th in the nation).
- Darby Trull leads the team in batting average (.414) and has five RBIs and two doubles.
- Nine other members of the team are batting above .300, they are Kelsey Bennett (.385), Kelsey Brown (.378), Ashley Whitley (.375), Meredith Slaw (.375), Jayme Bailey (.355), Grace Chavez (.353), Maddi Banks (.313) and Maddie Rountree.
- Bennett leads the way with nine RBIs and is tied for tied for the team lead with two home runs.
- Chavez, Banks and Olivia Lattin also have two home runs.
- The Hokies are 20-of-23 on stolen bases led by Brown who is 8-of-9.
- Two pitchers have seen action in the circle. Keely Rochard has seen the most time with eight appearances and six starts, she has a 4-3 record, 3.73 ERA, and 65 strikeouts in 45.0 innings
- Kaylee Hewitt sports a 2.63 ERA and a 3-0 record with 19 K’s in 21.1 innings in five appearances and four starts.
- This is the first all-time meeting between Dartmouth and Virginia Tech.
SCOUTING THE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON
- One of the tournament hosts, C of C begins the Charleston Classic with a 2-6 record.
- Their victories both came at the Battle at the Beach tournament against Jacksonville State (13-6) and Delaware State (15-1, 5 Inn.)
- The Cougars are hitting .281 as a team. Payton Wade leads the team with a .571 batting average and seven RBIs, she has three home runs and three doubles.
- Gracyn Thrasher (.429), Kayla Gutierrez (.400), Riley Miller (.385), Brittany Vicary (.357) and Lexee Emanuel (.316) are all having strong starts.
- Thrasher, Emanuel and Vicary each have two home runs.
- Pitching is where C of C has struggled with a 5.63 team ERA and they have used six different pitchers.
- Dartmouth is 0-2 all-time against the Cougars.
- Army is 5-5 through its first 10 games of the season after two tournaments.
- The Golden Knights kicked off the year in the Bash at the Boro and went 4-1 with wins over Rutgers (8-3), Hartford (9-3), ETSU (7-4) and Georgia Southern (7-5).
- They then played in the Golden State Classic and went 1-4 with their only win over Hawaii (7-6).
- Army is hitting .301 as a team and are led by Ally Snelling who is hitting .485 with two home runs, nine RBIs and three doubles.
- Other Golden Knights who have had a strong start with the bat are Brooke Mitchell (.333), Emily Ballesteros (.310) and Megan Muffett (.292).
- Taylor Drayton is tied for the team lead with two home runs and nine RBIs.
- The Big Green are 2-1 all-time over Army.
- The Bobcats have struggled so far with a 2-8 record entering the Charleston Classic.
- Ohio has won two of its last three games with victories over Indiana State (10-7) and Lipscomb (3-2).
- Allie Englant leads the Bobcats with a .469 batting average with two RBIs and leads the team with three stolen bases.
- Katie Yun is the power threat, batting .432 and leads the way with two home runs, nine RBIs and five doubles.
- Alexis Dawe (.323), Ava Heidorn (.320) and Caroline Spacek (.313) are all batting over .300.
- Holly Brehm leads the team with a 2.29 ERA and has a 1-1 record with four strikeouts in 18.1 innings.
- Dartmouth is 0-2 all-time against Ohio.
SCOUTING NORTH CAROLINA A&T
- The Aggies are the final team of the weekend for the Big Green and begin in Charleston with a 1-6 record.
- The lone win for N.C. A&T came against Rhode Island (6-3)
- The Aggies are hitting .256 as a team and are led by Stephanie Williams (.429).
- Eternal Fuller (.421), Dominique Varela (.333), Hailee Cutts (.333) and Samantha Ramirez (.294) are having strong starts at the plate.
- The pitching staff has struggled, with a team ERA of 7.16.
- This is the first all-time meeting between Dartmouth and N.C. A&T.
To keep up-to-date on all the action over the weekend, you can visit the Dartmouth softball schedule by clicking HERE and finding the links for live video and live stats associated with the games.
Dartmouth heads further south to Lakeland, Fla. for The Spring Games where the team will face Florida International, Albany, Western Michigan, Loyola Chicago and Kentucky beginning on Feb. 29 through Mar. 1.