GU Podcast Helps Students Through the “College Shopping” Process
by Rachel Heston-Davis
A new podcast hosted by GU admissions counselors aims to support students and their families throughout the college shopping and admissions process.
College Contexts produces episodes on a range of topics students may face as they make decisions about attending college. The podcast speaks not only to prospective undergraduate GU students and their families, but to any family currently on the journey to choose a school.
Hosts KD McLean ‘18 and Mark Barigye ‘19, who help prospective students navigate this journey every day, lead listeners through topics geared toward students, parents, and other supportive adults who may speak into a student’s decision. Episodes include topics such as:
- Education vs. Experience. As even entry-level jobs increase their requirements for “previous experience,” many students wonder whether to attend college or gain job experience first after high school. KD and Mark not only discuss the ins-and-outs of this complex question, they offer perspective on how GU allows students to do both.
- Diversity. Prospective students often desire schools that takes diversity and inclusion seriously. KD and Mark explore what a student should look for in a college or university as an indication of a serious commitment to diversity and justice.
- Financial Aid. An episode entitled “The Dreaded FAFSA” demystifies the seemingly daunting process of applying for financial aid; GU Director of Financial Aid David Kessinger gives pointers.
- Parental Involvement. Parents want to know how to journey with their children in the college shopping process. They want to know how to balance their wishes with their children’s wishes, to choose a school the whole family feels good about.
- Spiritual Leaders. An episode aimed at church and youth leaders discusses the role pastors play in helping students choose a school, particularly a faith-based school.
The podcast releases a new episode every two months. Future episodes will interview real GU students and parents who have “been there” with college shopping, as well as prospective students currently in the thick of it, and experts in the field of admissions.
The podcast is produced by student Sidney Webster ’21.
Other GU podcasts worth a listen:
Support scholarships and offer students access to hands-on learning experiences like podcasting and student media at GU. Thank you for giving.
This story was published on July 15, 2020