Alumnus Haseltine Lends Creativity to TV Show The Chosen
Dan Haseltine ’94, founding member of the band Jars of Clay and GU’s 2017 Commencement speaker collaborated with Matthew S. Nelson to compose and perform music for The Chosen, the first multi-season TV show about the life of Jesus Christ.
Creators of The Chosen worked outside of the Hollywood “system” to produce the show, which currently ranks number one as the highest crowd-funded project of all time. To date, donors have surpassed the $20 million mark in funding the project.
Faith-based production company VidAngel announced earlier this summer that it would begin filming season two in September.
Other milestones for the film noted on the show’s website include:
- Translation into 50 languages and counting.
- Viewed by nearly 50 million people in 180 countries.
- Consistent ranking in the top 50 entertainment apps on IOS and Android.
- Registered 9.8 user score on IMDb with over 7,000 user reviews, the highest rated faith film project.
- Registered 100% critic score (eight) and 99% audience score (6,333) on Rotten Tomatoes.
Viewers can watch the film for free on an app that connects directly to streaming devices.
This story was published on September 17, 2020