By: Rick Bender
HANOVER, N.H. — With no intercollegiate contests this fall, Dartmouth Athletics is initiating a virtual speaker series entitled, “Big Green Conversations.” What makes these conversations unique is that current student-athletes will moderate the talk consisting of a panel of former student-athletes around a specific topic.
Varsity athletics alumni and current student-athletes will have an opportunity to share their experiences at Dartmouth and beyond, while offering insights that would benefit student-athletes who are navigating today’s uncertain landscape.
The inaugural conversation will be “Navigating Dartmouth as a Black Student-Athlete.” Garrison Wade (men’s basketball) and Tola Akinwumi ’21 (women’s volleyball) — both of whom are the co-chairs of our newly created Dartmouth Black Student-Athlete Alliance (DBSAA) — will serve as moderators . Alumni panelists will include:
- Peter Roby ’79 (men’s basketball), former Northeastern Athletics Director
- Jamal Brown ’08 (track and field), National Press Secretary at Biden for President
- Alexandra Tanner ’11 (track and field), Doctoral Student in Clinical Psychology at UCLA
- Faziah Steen ’13 (women’s basketball), Senior Consultant at Optum-UnitedHealth Group
Registration is now open for this conversation that will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 8 p.m. (EDT).
The next conversation, “Building Resilience in a Pandemic,” will take place two weeks later on Thursday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m. (EST). Katherine Dajia ’21 (women’s hockey) will moderate for the panelists that will include:
- Dr. Sarah Stearns ’90 PhD (women’s volleyball), Clincial Psychologist
- Jordan Fields ’06 (football), Operational Psychologist at United States Air Force
- Mackenzie St. Onge ’17 (women’s hockey), Founder, the Sideline Perspective
Register for “Building Resilience in a Pandemic.”
The final conversation for the fall will be “Leveraging Your Dartmouth Athletic Experience for Success in Corporate America,” moderated by Taurus Samuels ’22 (men’s basketball) and Sophie Stone ’21 (women’s rowing). The discussion will take place on Thursday, Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. (EST). Alumni panelists will include:
- Brian Conroy ’86 (football/baseball), Chief Executive Officer at Liquidnet
- Kenny Mitchell ’97 (men’s basketball), Chief Marketing Officer at Snap Inc.
- Allison Migel ’00 (women’s tennis), Senior Vice President, Private Wealth at Wheels Up
- Ashley Dean ’02 (women’s volleyball), Senior Director, Business Development and Sales at Mamba Sports Academy
- Damon Wright ’08 (baseball), Executive Director at JPMorgan Chase